* Opening night at Mullett Arena in Tempe, Ariz., included an appearance by Shane Doan and his son,
Josh Doan, a team-first achieved by Christian Fischer and a multi-goal comeback win in line with
early trends in 2022-23.
* It was a night to remember for Islanders forward Josh Bailey, who capped his 1,000th NHL contest
with a game-winning goal.
* The Avalanche (Saturday at NYI) and Blue Jackets (Sunday at NJD) each play one more game
before heading overseas for two contests as part of the 2022 NHL Global Series in Tampere, Finland
(Nov. 4-5, both at 2 p.m. ET). To mark the occasion, another #NHLStats Pack now is available.
JETS STAGE MULTI-GOAL RALLY TO WIN FIRST NHL GAME AT MULLETT ARENA
Coyotes forward Christian Fischer scored each of the first two NHL goals at Mullett Arena, but the
Jets rallied to force overtime where Blake Wheeler netted the winner to give the Jets their second
multi-goal comeback win in as many days. It was the 21st multi-goal comeback victory in the NHL this
season (16.7% of 126 GP).
* Wheeler scored his 36th game-winning goal with the franchise to help the Jets claim a multi-goal
comeback win on consecutive days for the first time since relocating to Winnipeg in 2011-12. The only
other such instance for the franchise came when the club was based in Atlanta (Oct. 15-16, 2010).
* Fischer became the first Coyotes player to score twice in the first period of their home opener. His
achievement was preceded by franchise icon Shane Doan dropping the ceremonial puck alongside his
son and Coyotes draft pick Josh Doan (37th overall in 2021). The younger Doan scored the first-ever
goal at Mullett Arena while playing for the Arizona State University Sun Devils on Oct. 14.
BAILEY NETS WINNING GOAL IN 1,000TH NHL GAME
Josh Bailey scored the go-ahead goal while skating in his 1,000th game – just 51 seconds after Brent
Burns tied the game with his first in a Hurricanes uniform – to help the Islanders claim their second
straight win. Bailey became the third player to skate at least 1,000 games with the franchise, following
Islanders legends Bryan Trottier (1,123 GP) and Denis Potvin (1,060 GP).
* Bailey became the third active player to score a game-winning goal in his 1,000th NHL game,
following in the footsteps of Burns, the man who scored before him Friday, and Jeff Carter.
THOMPSON POSTS ANOTHER SHUTOUT, SMITH CASHES 100TH WITH VEGAS
Logan Thompson made 29 saves for his League-leading second shutout of 2022-23 and Reilly Smith
scored his 100th goal in a Golden Knights uniform – the third to hit the benchmark for the club – as
Vegas earned a win on Nevada Day.
* Thompson (4-2-0 in 6 GP) required the fewest appearances in Golden Knights history to record two
shutouts in a season, besting the previous mark set by Marc-Andre Fleury (8 GP in 2020-21). Prior to
this season, Thompson had one career shutout in 20 NHL games.
* Four years ago, Thompson was playing Canadian university hockey for the Brock University Badgers
and pursuing a degree in sports management. At that point, making the NHL was a mere dream more
than a trajectory. Thompson, who went undrafted in both the WHL and NHL, played one year of
university hockey where he was named USports Ontario Goaltender of the Year and Rookie of the Year
before signing an ECHL contract. Thompson credits a no-quit attitude and unrelenting personality for
his success – he signed with the Golden Knights on July 13, 2020, and won the ldege “Baz” Bastien
Award awarded to the AHL’s most outstanding goaltender that season.
GOALIES MAKE THEIR MARK ON LATEST EDITION OF #NHLSTATS: LIVE UPDATES
Goaltenders stole the show during Friday’s six-game slate, with Logan Thompson, Linus Ullmark and
Vitek Vanecek each recording a shutout to highlight the latest edition of #NHLStats: Live Updates.
* Ullmark (30 saves) improved to 6-0-0 this season with his fifth career shutout and now leads all
goaltenders in wins so far in 2022-23. He became the fourth Bruins netminder to start a season with a
win in six or more consecutive decisions, joining Tim Thomas (8-0-0 in 2010-11), Tuukka Rask (6-0-0
in 2016-17) and Tiny Thompson (6-0-0 in 1937-38).
* Vanecek (24 saves) helped the Devils complete a rare feat, holding the Stanley Cup champion
Avalanche off the scoresheet for just the second time since the start of last season (including the 2022
Stanley Cup Playoffs). Jesper Bratt notched an assist on the lone goal to extend his season-opening
point streak to eight games (3-10-13).
* Red Wings’ Michael Rasmussen Suspended Two Games for High-Sticking
* On journey to the NHL, Bruins video coordinator Mat Myers has defied the odds
* Ethan Bear, Lane Pederson traded to Canucks by Hurricanes
* Avalanche names engraved on Stanley Cup
* Women In Hockey: Islanders’ Manager of Hockey Operations, Joanne Holewa
NHL WEEKLY PODCAST ROUNDUP
NHL Fantasy (10/24): Fantasy waiver wire pickups: Week 3
NHL Fantasy (10/24): Action Network Collab: Week 3
Draft Class (10/24): Dan Marr, Director of NHL Central Scouting; Players to Watch list
The Chirp with Daren Millard (10/26):Cale Makar, Trevor Zegras and “Ironman” Phil Kessel
NHL @ The Rink (10/26): Rasmus Dahlin; Phil Kessel’s “Ironman” streak
NHL Fantasy (10/27): Week 3 fantasy mailbag; buy-low, sell-high candidates; guest Chris Meaney
SATURDAY’S SLATE: TWELVE GAMES, OVER 12 HOURS OF HOCKEY
A busy day begins with an NHL Saturday presented by SAP broadcast of a Rangers-Stars matchup
that will see Dallas vie for a fourth straight win at American Airlines Center to begin the season. The
Stars can open their home slate with a 4-0-0 record for the third time in the past 20 years – they posted
a 4-0-0 home record to begin the 2011-12 and 2020-21 campaigns.
PANTHERS, SENATORS MATCHUP FULL OF BROTHERLY LOVE
Matthew and Brady Tkachuk are division rivals once again, after meeting nine times in the 2020-21
Scotia North Division, and will reignite their brotherly rivalry for the first time with Matthew wearing a
Panthers jersey. If Marc and Eric Staal join the elder Tkachuk in the Panthers lineup, it will mark the
first NHL game with two sets of brothers since Dec. 4, 2021, when Rangers forward Ryan Strome
opposed a Blackhawks squad that included his brother Dylan along with Seth and Caleb Jones.
* Matthew leads the Panthers in scoring after posting 4-6-10 through his first eight games with the
club , while Brady (the reigning First Star of the Week) shares the Senators lead in both goals (5) and
points (10) through seven contests.
DRAISAITL, KADRI LEAD OILERS, FLAMES INTO SECOND “BATTLE OF ALBERTA”
The stage is set for 2022-23’s second rendition of the “Battle of Alberta” with Calgary owning a 1-0-0
record so far in their four-game season series. In 2021-22, the teams split the series winning two
games apiece (CGY: 2-2-0, EDM: 2-2-0) before their playoff matchup.
* Leon Draisaitl, who leads the current Oilers roster in regular-season points against the Flames with
10-41-51 (39 GP), has recorded multiple points in each of Edmonton’s past seven contests against
Calgary spanning regular season and playoffs (5-18-23). Draisaitl is the second active player with a
streak of seven-plus multi-point outings versus an opponent (also Patrick Kane w/ 7 GP vs. OTT) and
only the second to do so in the “Battle of Alberta” after Wayne Gretzky (11-17-28 in 9 GP from 1982-
83 to 1983-84).
* Nazem Kadri (4-5-9 in 6 GP) currently leads his new club in scoring, including tallying 1-1-2 in his
first instalment of the “Battle of Alberta” on Oct. 15, and has a point in each of his first six games in a
Flames uniform. Only two players began their tenure with the Flames with a longer run: Phil Housley
(7 GP in 1994-95) and Sergei Makarov (7 GP in 1989-90).
I’m a journalist who specializes in investigative reporting and writing. I have written for the New York Times and other publications.